UFCW Local 400 members at Giant Food and Safeway have voted to ratify strong, new union contracts.
The four-year collective bargaining agreements take effect retroactively on October 29, 2023 and expire on October 30, 2027. The new contracts include:
- Average 24% pay increase over four years
- No increases in health care costs over the next four years
- Improved language on minimum hours for part timers, pension, and safety
You can download copies of the contract highlight sheets at the links below.
Voting on the new agreements took place in select stores over four days, November 6-9, and ballots were tabulated on Friday, November 10 by members of the bargaining committee. Members at Giant Food voted 1,340–266 and members at Safeway voted 761–131 in favor of ratifying the agreements as unanimously recommended by the bargaining committee.
We would like to thank each and every member of our bargaining committee on helping to make this contract possible:
- Linda Bussey, Safeway #2848
- Darlene Butler-Jones, Giant #347
- Phillip Contee, Safeway #4872
- Beverly McFarland, Giant #135
- Jose Medrano, Safeway #1019
- Richard Minor, Safeway #3250
- William Osborn, Giant #339
- David Payne, Giant #740
- Benjamin Shapiro, Giant #169
- Jane St. Louis, Safeway #2794
If you have any questions about the new contracts, please do not hesitate to contact us or talk to your shop steward or union representative.
Download Giant Food Highlight Sheet (PDF)
Download the Giant Food highlight sheet outlining changes to the contract.
Download Safeway Highlight Sheet (PDF)
Download the Safeway highlight sheet outlining changes to the contract.