We are pleased to announce we have reached a tentative agreement with Giant and Safeway on a new contract to avert a strike. Our bargaining committee has voted unanimously to recommend the agreement for ratification.
We are putting together the documentation to share the complete details of the agreement, but right away we can share the following highlights:
- Wage increases for all top-rated food clerks hired prior to March 5, 2020:
- 1st year: $1.10
- 2nd year: $1.00
- 3rd year: $1.00
- 4th year: $1.00
+ $0.25 more for department heads in the first two years
- No changes to health care for the the life of the contract (premiums, co-pays, and deductibles all stay the same) plus improvement in eyeglass frame and dental benefits
- Four weeks of vacation after 12 years
- Improvement in minimum hours guarantee
- Improved pension and safety language
Soon we will announce a Tele-Town Hall meeting to review the proposed contract in detail and answer any questions you may have. Then voting will take place in select stores throughout the region to make it as convenient as possible for every member to cast a vote. Please stay tuned for more information as we finalize these plans.
We want to thank all of you for standing strong throughout this process. Without our unity, we could never have achieved the agreement we have negotiated today. For now, we have extended our current collective bargaining agreement so all of the protections and benefits of our union contract remain in effect. Stay tuned and please do not hesitate to reach out to your shop steward or union rep if you have any questions.