Local 400 members working at Giant Delivery (formerly Peapod) unanimously ratified a four-year collective bargaining agreement that features significant upgrades in pay, benefits and working conditions.
After the past 15 months, in which members worked heroically through the pandemic to ensure that a fast-growing number of delivery customers were fed and nourished, the new contract provides concrete recognition of their service and sacrifice as essential frontline workers. To date, 20 Giant Delivery members have been diagnosed with COVID-19.
The collective bargaining agreement, covering approximately 250 members, includes:
- Large increases in wages.
- A longevity bonus.
- Greater eligibility for premium pay, and premium pay increases that, in many cases, are doubled.
- Holiday pay increases.
- An extra week of vacation at 15 years.
- An improved grievance process.
- Vision coverage.
- A 100 percent match on 401(k) contributions up to the first 5 percent of income.
- Twice-a-year job bids, compared to the previous once-a-year.
- A Pandemic side letter that outlines how Local 400 and management will work together if faced with a future public health threat comparable to COVID.
“Our members at Giant Delivery have shown incomparable courage and dedication as frontline workers ensuring that people throughout the DMV had enough to eat throughout the pandemic,” said Local 400 President Mark P. Federici. “Their hard-earned new collective bargaining agreement acknowledges all that they continue to do to serve the public and will result in well-deserved improvements in their standard of living and quality of life.”