Kroger #774, the new Clarksburg store and largest Kroger in West Virginia, is experiencing the worst outbreak we’ve seen at any store we represent.
We have tracked at least 23 cases among union members since January 12th. There were six cases at the store before it even opened, and since it opened to the public last week, cases have skyrocketed. The store has since changed their hours to 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Kroger has attempted to replace absent staff by bringing in associates from nearby stores. To be clear, if you are asked to work at Kroger 774, it is entirely voluntary. Management may not force you to work at Kroger 774. You have the right to refuse to pick up extra shifts at Kroger 774.
We are in touch with Kroger management about steps they will take to increase safety at store 774, including how to better maintain social distancing, adhere to customer limits in the store, and make sure everyone in the store is wearing a mask. Here is what they have committed to so far:
- An additional time clock will be installed on the rear wall to prevent congregating by the two existing time clocks.
- No associates will be asked to work while they have a pending test.
- Other stores in the vicinity will strictly ask for volunteers to go to 774 should they wish to have extra hours/shifts. Each store will be transparent about the situation. No associates from other stores will be “voluntold” or scheduled at 774 without their agreement.
- The cleaning crew that is in the store has up to 3 associates working a day and will be wearing reflective vests to be identified.
- There is a reduced number of tables, chairs and computer equipment available in the conference and pick up rooms.
- Signage has been placed in multiple locations in the conference and pick up rooms indicating 1 person per table, not to move tables and chairs and direction to sanitize each area after use.
- Additional cleaners, paper towels and sanitizer will be made available in the conference room and pick up areas.
- Signage will be placed at each time clock requiring the sanitization of the equipment after each use. The same signage will also be on computer stations around the store, including those located with the departments.
- Nobody will lose hours as a result of store 774 operating from 8am – 8pm. Associates scheduled to work past 8pm will assist with cleaning. Night crew employees will continue to work their regular shifts.
As always, we encourage all of our members to wear a mask, report maskless customers to management, maintain proper social distancing at all times, and do not congregate (especially indoors).
If you have a safety concern at your store, please report it to us so we can take immediate action. As always, please contact your shop steward, union representative, or contact us if you have any questions or need assistance.