Rally to Announce Strike Vote at Giant & Safeway
11:00 a.m., Wednesday, February 19, 2020
Safeway #2892, 1100 4th St SW, Washington, DC
After five months of negotiations with Giant & Safeway, we are still not close to a deal on a new union contract. Both companies are insisting on unacceptable proposals, including:
- Freezing new workers in DC and Maryland at minimum wage for the next three years
- Keeping part-timers hired after Oct. 30, 2013 at a maximum of 24 hours/week, making them ineligible for benefits
- Top-of-scale increases far below other parts of the country
- Immediate cuts to healthcare funding
- Large increases to weekly premiums for healthcare
- Eliminating promise to secure pension benefits
- Cuts to future pension benefits
On Wednesday, February 19, we’re holding a press conference and rally to announce our plan to take a strike vote at Giant & Safeway if we are unable to reach a fair contract. The date of the vote will be announced at the press conference. If members vote to authorize a strike, more than 25,000 grocery workers at hundreds of stores in the region could go out on strike.
While contract negotiations will continue with both companies, we are prepared to take a strike vote if we are unable to reach a fair contract.
We will be joined by local elected officials, community leaders and more. Join us to show these companies that we will do whatever it takes to get a fair contract!
RSVP on Facebook
How to Prepare for a Strike
If we have to go on strike, you need to be prepared. Read our guide to get your finances in order in case of a strike.