A joint statement from UFCW Local 400 & UFCW Local 27
Today, UNFI, the parent company of Shoppers Food & Pharmacy, announced plans to close all 30 Shoppers pharmacies.
Here is what we know:
- The pharmacies will close on a staggering basis beginning on April 23, 2019.
- Pharmacy techs at these locations will be informed before their pharmacy closes and will be placed on the stores schedule in a clerk position with no effect to their rate of pay or status (full-time or part-time).
- CVS purchased the pharmacy scripts and inventory from 24 stores and Walgreens has purchased the scripts and inventory from six stores.
- The company continues to insist that there are “no immediate plans” to close any Shoppers stores.
This is a frustrating situation for everyone involved, and the lack of information has only made things worse. We are continuing to push UNFI to provide us with more information. We have made it clear that we expect UNFI to respect the terms of our collective bargaining agreement in the event that stores are sold.
In the meantime, we will continue to enforce your rights under your contract and we are committed to sharing any new information with you as we have it.
Sign Up for Text Alerts
We will use text message alerts to keep you updated as things move forward. If you have not already, please sign up for text alerts by texting SHOPPERS to 698-329.
* Your wireless provider’s message and data rates may apply – you may opt out any time by texting STOP to 698329.