The holiday season is a time for giving. It’s also a time to support the causes closest to our hearts. By shopping union, you can do both at the same time.
Local 400 represents employees at a wide variety of retailers capable of fulfilling your holiday needs with the highest quality service and at affordable prices. By patronizing these stores, you will help strengthen our union and support your brothers and sisters.
It’s a simple principle that should apply all year long: union members should buy union whenever possible. Our union must grow to have the greatest positive impact on our members’ lives and on working families overall. For that to happen, our employers must grow, too. The more we shop from them, the better they do and the better our members do.
During the holiday season, this principle is more important than ever. Retailers need the business and our members need the income during these critical weeks to ensure a good year. The economy needs spending that supports middle-class, living wage jobs. When we all stick together and support one another, every one of us comes out ahead.
Local 400 members are encouraged to shop at these stores employing their fellow union members:
For holiday gifts of every kind:
- Macy’s Department Stores in Washington, D.C., and Bethesda (Montgomery Mall), Bowie (Bowie Town Center), Gaithersburg (Lakeforest Mall), Hyattsville (Prince George’s Plaza), Laurel, Marlow Heights, Waldorf (Charles Towne Center) and Wheaton, Md.
- Bloomingdale’s Department Store in Chevy Chase, Md.
For high-quality, name-brand clothing and other gift items:
- Brooks Brothers in Washington,D.C.
- Giant in Maryland,Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Kroger in Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.
- Safeway in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Shoppers Food & Pharmacy in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Bestway in Silver Spring, Md.
- Bethesda Co-op in Bethesda, Md.
When at the supermarket, look for Tyson’s Chicken and Boar’s Head meat products. Local 400 represents workers at these company’s facilities. In addition, you can order your groceries online at Peapod.com and have them delivered right to your home.
Where you spend your money matters. By shopping at any of these stores, you’ll be getting great value for your dollar while also lifting up your fellow Local 400 members.
AFL-CIO also put together this union-made holiday list that includes a wide range of gift possibilities, from clothes to games to sports equipment and more, made by members of UNITE HERE, Boilermakers (IBB), Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers (BCTGM), Machinists (IAM), United Steelworkers (USW), Teamsters (IBT), UAW, United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW), the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union/UFCW (RWDSU/UFCW) and United Farm Workers (UFW).